Tuesday, April 8, 2008

An Angel Returns Home

PhotobucketOn Saturday, April 5th, a precious little boy, Ethan Isaiah Powell, returned to our Heavenly Father after his short 16 month stay on this Earth. For 14 of those 16 months, his little body fought and fought against leukemia. One of the most remarkable things about his story is the incredible faith of his parents, Ben and Becky. Ben set up a special website to blog his son's journey with the trademark works....PRAYER WORKS. His mission was to recruit as many "prayer warriors" as possible to pray for his son who was at St. Jude's in Memphis. Thousands upon thousands heard this plea and prayed daily for this infant who overcame multiple odds time and time again. On the days where he would take a turn for the worse, his dad would only plead to spread the word to pray for his son and on the days where miracles occured, he only wanted to shout for the rooftops that PRAYER WORKS! And soon to be added to that was BELIEVE!! Ethan was also referred to as little E and therefore BELIEVE became BeLIeVe in honor of this brave little boy.

I have been deeply touched as I have followed Ethan and his parents over the past year. When times were rough, I checked the website multiple times a day to see how Ethan was doing. And I rejoiced when yet another miracle occured and he was smiling and laughing.

The few days before Ethan's passing were very rough and he worsened very, very quickly. Even though his condition was fastly deteriorating, it was a complete shock to my spirit to read that he had passed away. I wept for the loss of this precious, precious child! I know that he is finally free of pain and cords and monitors and medication, etc. He truly is free. My deepest ache is for his parents who must let go for a time of their only child to whom they have devoted their entire life, love, energy to him and the fight against cancer.

It is the most profound ache I think I have ever had for someone I have not personally met but whom I felt I knew and loved!

His parents, although heartbroken beyond comprehension, have rallied yet again around their faith and are celebrating their sons life and his mission that he completed here and that he continues in Heaven. Their strength has been humbling.

It has made me hug my children a little tighter, played with them a little longer, withhold a word I might've said in rebuke, and love the moments Olivia has let me rock her.

I think she has had a sense of the passing of a friend she didn't know on Earth but with whom she may have communed in heaven. They entered this life only 24 days apart. She has seemed to have a sense of knowing that I need those extra hugs and those early morning or nap rocking sessions.

May we each take each day and love it! May we each take our family and LOVE them!! Ethan has inspired me! And though I am mourning his loss, I celebrate his life with this post.

In memory of this incredible warrior, please take a moment to visit his website and watch a video from a few months ago. And BeLIeVe..PRAYER WORKS!!!

www.ethanpowell.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJX2JwaWmbc


Photobucket

1 comment:

debbie said...

I'm sorry he died, but I'm glad his painful days are over. What a little trooper he's been!